Craigmore Plantations is totally committed to protecting the Environment at all costs. The Company recognises that as a Plantation company the environment is very much an integral part of its business. The company’s wellbeing depends on the basic constituents of its surroundings in terms of the atmosphere, soil, air and water resources. The company is thus conscious of its responsibility to conserve, preserve and protect its natural surroundings and its resources.
Towards fulfilling its commitment to Environmental protection, the Company will ensure the following:
Industrial air pollution from its factories will be constantly monitored and reduced in a phased manner utilizing new technology developed.
Air pollution caused by indiscriminate burning of garbage will be eliminated to reduce air pollution levels.
Air pollution caused by applying Inorganic fertilizers in unfavourable (dry) weather conditions will be eliminated to reduce air pollution levels due to volatilization of fertilizers into the atmosphere.
Vehicular pollution to air by Company vehicles will be drastically reduced by ensuring all Company owned vehicles fulfil the emission norms set.
Pollution to water due to mixing of Pesticides, Herbicides and Fungicides etc near water sources will be totally eliminated.
Water pollution due to Inorganic Fertilizer application close to water sources will also be minimized.
Pollution to water due to washing clothes and utensils in streams, near other water sources will be totally eliminated.
Although Noise pollution is not an issue on the plantations, all efforts will be made to ensure that there is a reduction to the same from existing levels.
Pollution to Soil is a major concern to any agrarian industry/company. This will be suitably addressed by Craigmore Plantations by ensuring proper disposal of garbage with special emphasis to disposal of plastics and glass, ensuring Inorganic fertilizers are not indiscriminately applied, wood ash from the factories is disposed off safely, ensuring World Health Organisation guidelines on disposal of medical waste is implemented, etc.
The Company will further strive to protect the Natural resources available at its disposal by:
- Preventing Soil Erosion to the maximum extent will be the top priority of the Company. The Company will ensure that it reduces erosion to its soil to the extent possible. Towards achieving this objective cutting contour soil & water conservation trenches in tea fields along the contour, planting Vettiver along road edges and banks, deep burying pruning disposal in the year of prune in trenches inside the tea field, building stone revetments in erosion prone sections, ensuring all drains & culverts are open to enable free flow of rain water during monsoon will be ensured and carried out systematically year after year.
- The Flora and Fauna on Craigmore will be protected at all cost. Prevention of illegal felling of jungle trees, poaching of wild animals present on the plantations etc will not be tolerated and the Company will work with the Forest Department of the Government of Tamil Nadu towards protecting the natural flora and fauna on Craigmore.
- Rainwater will be harvested and utilized for domestic purposes to the extent possible. The services of Water Conservation experts will be taken to explore all other means of harvesting rainwater by building bunds, lakes, check dams etc. to reduce our dependence on ground water.
- Natural Private Forests on Craigmore will be retained in its pristine condition at all costs. Under no circumstances will the Company permit its private forests to be developed, damaged or destroyed at any time and for any reason.
- The company will make a focused effort to improve energy efficiency and utilization and will use only renewable sources of energy for providing energy, wherever possible.
- The Company will endeavour to improve its efficiency in terms of Fuel wood requirements for its factories and is committed to a sustained Fuel wood plantation policy of growing a part of its own fuel requirements on the Group and felling the same systematically and replanting the same in a phased – scientific manner thereby ensuring a fixed forest cover on the Group.